Wednesday, October 14, 2009

NBA

No basketball on this blog, just the good old fashioned National Book Award. The finalists are in and there are five nominees for Young People's Literature. Check them out:


Deborah Heiligman, Charles and Emma: The Darwins’ Leap of Faith
Phillip Hoose, Claudette Colvin: Twice Toward Justice
David Small, Stitches
Laini Taylor, Lips Touch: Three Times
Rita Williams-Garcia, Jumped

Coe Booth, the fabulous author of Tyrell and Kendra and contributor to The Longstockings blog and generally awesome and intelligent human being, was one of the judges this year so that gives me an extra boost of confidence for these titles.

I haven't yet read any of these books, but I am very curious to hear a lil sumpin' sumpin' from any of you who have. Keep me posted!

FOLLOW UP: There is now a controversy as to whether or not Stitches should have been nominated as a YA book when it was published as an adult graphic novel by W.W. Norton.  Read the full article at Publishers Weekly and weigh in on the debate.

3 comments:

  1. Just stumbled on your blog. I love books so I may need to stop by more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Comment on your update. I heard the same thing. That's a hard one to tackle because. I mean if it was sent in for evaluation or consideration or what ever, it probably means that the rules for submission in terms of categories are probably not that clear in a sense that something HAS to be published as YA to be accepted into the YA category, right? It makes me wonder if this has happened in any other division? How well defined are the rules for poetry? fiction? non-fiction? I think it's wonderful that books are simply being nominated for their merit and regardless of category and I hope in the future we see a YA/middle grade/children's book nominated outside of it's own category.

    ReplyDelete