Monday, November 23, 2009

Who Creates Hate?

I strongly encourage everyone to take the time to read this thoughtful opinion piece by Robert Wright in the NY Times entitled Who Created Major Hasan? 

When I first heard about this tragic event I was fearful for the inevitable reporting and distribution of blame. I wrote on my Facebook page:

I'm so sad about the loss of life at Fort Hood. And I am nervous about the fallout this will bring for mental health professionals and Muslims. I hope the conversation will be about one man and his choices, not about groups of people, and that we can honestly talk about the damage that wartime has on the human psyche.

It is nice to see that Wright is also pushing the dialogue in this direction and that the NY Times has provided him with the platform to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment